Platelet row: Owner of UP hospital arrested for 'negligence'
Police on Saturday arrested the owner of Global Hospital in Uttar Pradesh's Jhalwa, which made the headlines after a dengue patient died there following a transfusion of platelets last month. The 30-year-old patient had died allegedly due to medical negligence at the hospital. However, the probe concluded that the death occurred due to transfusion of 'poorly-preserved platelets' and not fake or contaminated platelets.
Why does this story matter?
- The arrest comes nearly two weeks after the incident at the Global Hospital triggered widespread outrage.
- Some reports even claimed the patient was given lime juice instead of platelets which led to the death.
- The authorities initiated strict action against the hospital and canceled its registration.
- Later, the Prayagraj Development Authority served a demolition notice to the hospital.
Arrest made following conclusion of investigation
The owner, Pappu Sahu, was reportedly detained after the investigation several weeks after the incident. "Efforts are also underway to nab his son and others wanted in connection with the same case," SSP Prayagraj Shailesh Kumar Pandey told HT. Notably, the probe had determined that the patient died as a result of transfusion of "poorly-preserved platelets," not because the platelets were fake or contaminated.
Human Rights Commission takes cognizance after outrage
An Allahabad High Court lawyer filed a complaint with the UP Human Rights Commission in Lucknow last week, according to HT. In his complaint to the commission, lawyer Gajendra Singh Yadav claimed that platelets were being sold at inflated prices ranging from Rs.3,000 to Rs.10,000 per unit, despite an increase in dengue cases in the district.
Health authorities canceled registration
Meanwhile, CMO Prayagraj has permanently canceled the hospital's registration. "On getting a complaint against the Global Hospital, an inquiry committee was constituted. After finding the hospital prima facie guilty of medical negligence, the registration of the hospital was suspended and it was sealed," he said. "Now after getting the recommendations of the inquiry committee, the registration of the hospital has been canceled," CMO said.
What do we know about the incident?
The patient, Pradeep Pandey (32), was reportedly admitted to the hospital on October 17 and died two days later. His kin claimed that his condition deteriorated after being transfused with the purported lime juice, after which he was shifted to another hospital where he died. The doctors there told the deceased's kin that the transfused liquid appeared to be a mix of chemicals.
Watch: Viral video that triggered outrage
प्रयागराज में मानवता शर्मसार हो गयी।— Vedank Singh (@VedankSingh) October 19, 2022
एक परिवार ने आरोप लगाया है कि झलवा स्थित ग्लोबल हॉस्पिटल ने डेंगू के मरीज प्रदीप पांडेय को प्लेटलेट्स की जगह मोसम्मी का जूस चढ़ा दिया।
मरीज की मौत हो गयी है।
इस प्रकरण की जाँच कर त्वरित कार्यवाही करें। @prayagraj_pol @igrangealld pic.twitter.com/nOcnF3JcgP